My new Bimmer!

wacko3

Hey guys! here's my new Bimmer!
1996 white M3

I'm in the process of learning how to drive a manual transmission. I got a couple of questions. Hopefully you guys can help. I'm having a little bit of trouble with first and second gear :) If I don't apply enough gas as I slowly release the clutch in first gear, the car stutters. If I apply a lot of gas, it's a smooth transition. However, it seems like it's grinding the clutch a lot. I feel some vibrations on the clutch pedal. Any tips on how to minimize clutch wear and get a smooth start? Also, shifting to second is not always smooth. I'm guessing I need to learn to rev-match better.

Anyways, here are some pics

Last edited:
Do you feel vibrations through the clutch pedal while you are engaging it (pushing down), or while driving?

If it is while engaging, either the flywheel has some warpage or the pressure plate is starting to go. If it is not too bad, I would just leave it. The only cure involves removing the tranny to inspect or replace the clutch and service/replace the flywheel. If it has a dual mass flywheel, which I believe they do, they can't be machined when worn and they are bloody expensive.

In that case, get a lightened flywheel and use the clutch from an M5 and stick it in. Cheaper, and better. [driving]

PS Nice ride though! [thumb]

wacko3

Thanks for the tip about the flywheel and clutch. I think the vibration I'm feeling is just that I'm over-reving and not letting the clutch out fast enough. In effect, I think I'm killing my clutch. I'm still learning how to drive stick, so I'll be making mistakes and whatnot. I hope there'll be some clutch left after I'm done :)

And yes, it is a real M3 :) Love the power and the handling. I used to drive an Altima before and there is absolutely no comparison.