BMW original brakes

Hey guys, I just got my bimmer yesterday and I think I need to replace the brake pads and the brake disks. I heard so many people say that the BMW brakes are better than OEM. My question is, does anyone know where I can get BMW brake pads and rotors for my 1995 325i? Oh, and while I'm on the same subject (kinda[;)]), where can I get the owner's manual, there are a few buttons and features that confuse me. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it.

brake pads with no dust =

a. shitty pads
b. pads that are so good they will rip your rotors apart

answer = become an efficient cleaner of wheels, and deal with it.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll go to a repair shop that will balance my front wheel and will fix the front door lock for free (it opens with the key but doesn't open the other doors, please tell me if this is how it should be if it is). I'll just tell them to replace the pads while I'm there. On the other topic, does anyone know where I can get the owners manual? Thanks again.

MrElussive said:
Should I consider changing the brake pads of my G35C? They dirty up the rims like a f*ckin BMW.
With the brembos you may have some problems finding non-aggressive pads. If you can find them in the correct size, I run Pagid 'blue' pads for street and love them. Not a lot of dust, decent stopping power, and they last a very long time.

So vlad, the hawk pads are a lot better on the darn break dust? That would be a welcome addition to my car. The same day I wash the freaking silver coated wheels they are dirty again. I am getting tired of keeping them up...[mad] My wheels are a b!t*# to wash.

Do you use wheel wax? Applying that to clean rims will help keep the dirt/dust from sticking to them and make cleaning a simple spray-off affair. (At least that's what I've heard, I have yet to use it myself.)

Since I can't find the owner's manual I'm really confused about one button. It's the one that is between the front left and rear left window switches (can't find the right word for it, I hope you know what I mean) the ones that are placed next to the tranny shift knob. I've been pressing on the button but nothing ever happened. Thanks in advance. Hopefully I'll take some pics by next tuesday.

That button locks the window controls for the passengers. Nothing happens when you press it, but when it is pressed the passengers can't use the power window controls.

Only the passanger? Is it only for the rear? If it is then that is why I still could open the windows from the center pannel. Thanks alot, really appreciate it.

I should have been more clear. It locks the controls on the rear doors, since their are no controls on the front passenger door. The center console controls will still work. A safety feature for the kids in the back, like child-proof locks and windows that don't roll down all the way (thankfully not a feature on the E36 and most, if not all BMWs, AFAIK).

brahtw8 said:
... like child-proof locks and windows that don't roll down all the way (thankfully not a feature on the E36 and most, if not all BMWs, AFAIK).
I always thought that windows don't roll down all the way because the glass does not fit into the door, either because the door has to much curve, or because the wheel well cuts to deep into the door.

Regarding the brakes, I was talking to my service writer at the dealer ship and he told me to use only OEM rotors because the OEM ones are "harded steel". He also recommended factory pads, but acknowledged they produce a lot of ugly dust and conceeded that some after market pads may work as well without so much dust. His final comment was that the BMW pads and rotors are designed to wear at the same rate and should always be replace together. Any truth to this?

wileycoyote said:
Regarding the brakes, I was talking to my service writer at the dealer ship and he told me to use only OEM rotors because the OEM ones are "harded steel". He also recommended factory pads, but acknowledged they produce a lot of ugly dust and conceeded that some after market pads may work as well without so much dust. His final comment was that the BMW pads and rotors are designed to wear at the same rate and should always be replace together. Any truth to this?
I think you would get different advice from an independent BMW mechanic that does not have as much of a vested financial interest in selling OEM parts. I also think that you will run out of OEM pads before you run out of rotor.

Not all of the OEM rotors are good quality. BMW dumbs-down their braking components for the US market. The E46 M3 is a good example of this.

As for aftermarket, a lot of companies make a quality rotor, as good or better than OEM spec. Zimmerman makes great and relatively inexpensive drilled rotors, with the holes cast into the rotor and not drilled later. I have some on the front, with stock rotors in the rear. Have run Pagid blues for 40k miles, and Mintex racing pads for about 5k miles. The rear rotors have lasted a very long time and the pads as well.

I was pretty sure he was pushing the OEM products as part of his job. I've heard a lot of good things about Zimmerman rotors. Since I don't race, I really don't need drilled, but they look so cool, and they are about the same price as OEM. Pads are really hard to choose, there seem to be a lot good choices. Porterfield are highly recommended, so are Pagid, and EBC. A friend of mine just put on PBR and he loves them. Any recommendations against any of these?

wileycoyote said:
His final comment was that the BMW pads and rotors are designed to wear at the same rate and should always be replace together. Any truth to this?
I think you can just about say this about all pads and rotors. They are all designed to wear at the same rate.

It's just like tires, headlights, bulbs, etc. They all should be changed at the same time. Tires, of course, need to be rotated (on a schedule or by use) to keep the wear pattern the same. This makes the life of the tires and brakes last longer. Brakes get the benefit of the pads wearing on the rotors evenly and not at a cambered angle all the time. [driving]

///M SPEED said:
It's just like tires, headlights, bulbs, etc. They all should be changed at the same time. Tires, of course, need to be rotated (on a schedule or by use) to keep the wear pattern the same. This makes the life of the tires and brakes last longer. Brakes get the benefit of the pads wearing on the rotors evenly and not at a cambered angle all the time. [driving]
If you are putting new rotors on, you will put new pads on. However, I would hope the rotors would outlast the pad and you would have them machined when you put the new pads on. I don't mean a crude turn, but a precise cut.