Stick shift stuck?

Hi,

I have a 1998 328is. I just noticed yesterday that my stick shift gets stuck to the right. By that i mean that when you put the stick shift in neutral, it should 'spring' to the middle if you push the stick to the left or right without putting it in gear (i.e, 1st, 2nd or 5th), the stick should still spring back to the middle.

So in my car, if i push the stick to the RIGHT, but don't put it gear it sticks there to the right and doesn't spring back to the middle unless I jiggle the stick a little. I don't have problem putting the car in gear at all, but that's just annoying and wonder if something is wrong or it's going to lead to something worse...

Anyone have any idea what this is and how to resolve? Thanks!

there are a number of parts within the shifting mechanism that are wear items. by just replacing the plastic cup the ball of the shifter sits in you will notice a much more crisp feeling finding gears. consider ripping everything out and replacing everything you can, this would be a good time to do a short shift or do what i did and get an m-roadster shift lever and have it bent to the right angle. if i remember correctly i had to undo a couple exhaust hangers to get some room, but didn't remove the exhaust. however, to replace pieces that connect right to the transmission i think i would've had drop the cross member and take the exhaust completely off.

serioulsy though, just gut the stuff right under your boot.