reasons to buy pre-owned vs. new

tony97007

I'm looking at purchasing my first BMW, most likely a 2001 330ci. The most obvious reason that I'm looking at pre-owned instead of new is that I can get much more bang for the buck. A low mileage loaded 2001 330ci goes for $30k or less - 20-25% less than a new one.

The second reason is one that I wanted to ask you all about. The BMW pre-owned 6-year 100,000 mile warranty seems pretty compelling. If I can get a 2001 330ci that is under warranty for all major systems for just as long as a 2004 330ci that costs $10-12k more, and do it with cheaper BMW-subsidized 2.9% finance rates to boot, it seems like an open and shut case to buy pre-owned instead of new. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

-tony

p.s. Does anyone know if you have to buy through a BMW certified dealer to get the pre-owned 6/100 warranty package?

I might never buy a brand new car for me, at least that is my idea at the moment. If you find a decent car that you know the history of and it is like a year old, the price is mostly very fair. a low milaege for a low price, and the car is still in flawless conditions. that is my kind of deal. and paying that much money only to be the first one to drive it??? besides there is always a technician who drove it already.

J

JamieD22

I agree with you 100%, Tony... Certified Pre-Owned Bimmers are an excellent buy, in fact my next vehicle will most likely be a CPO 330ci (when I purchase 2-3 yrs down the road). I think my most cost-effective choice would be a 2-3 yr old coupe... then again I could check out a 4 yr old M... [}:)]

flashinthepan

Tony,

Welcome neighbor !!!!

I think if you get the 6/100K warranty you have a wonderful idea !,

I went new...but what the heck !!, I personally like the subtle 2004 changes on the 3's & clean convertible's are just a weee bit harder to find....

Keep us posted !

[wave]

I'm recently bought my first BMW, a 2001 325Ci. It was a little high mileage, 43900, but handeled very well, was extreamly well kept, and was loaded (Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Package, and H/K stereo/CD audio system). It was a CPO that I picked up from a local BMW dealer here in San Diego, CA. It will be under warranty untill Jan 2007 or 100,000 miles. I do not put to many miles on my cars so I will most likly hit the 100,000 mile mark around the time the warranty runs out. I picked it up for just under $25K, Kelly Blue Book listed it at over 31K with the options. I would say that if you find something that you like and you can get it at a good deal I would say go for it. I would make sure to get an extended warranty. I am not sure, but I would think you might have to pick it up from a BMW dealer if you want the BMW CPO warranty. You might just want to call your local dealer and ask, can't hurt.