Bmw or no bmw?

injinuiti

Well now I'm really fustrated. I posted this before the forum changed and I don't remember my old user name so I'm under a new one.

I've been looking for a bmw 3 series for the past 2 months. Now my uncle is a mechanic for japanese cars and has told me and my parents that BMWs are very hectic. They break down a lot and parts + labor are very expensive etc etc.

The main purpose of this car is for my enjoyment + commute to school. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and go to school in the Los Angeles area... making it around a 400+ mile trip one way. I'll probably drive home a total of 4 to 5 times per year.

If I were to buy say a 328i/is 96-98 would it be able to last me the remaining years of college (maybe around 3 years). Also, would this kind of long drive put a lot of stress onto the car?? I mean I don't want to have to pay for replacement parts if anything goes wrong... Also I have heard that if you need work done on your car you pretty much have to go to a BMW dealership to get it done... I mean aren't there any certified BMW shops also?? Is it rare to find these kind of shops?

My last resort is to go back to japanese cars ( I really dislike american cars ). I don't really like any japanese cars within my price range.

ekko

hhhmmmm

hiya. hey I'm new here, But just wanted to give my two cents. I have always heard that bimmers are very dependable,. IF you take care of them! very high quality!! yes, they are a little more to work on, But I wouldn't trade my bimmer at all!! ^_^

injinuiti

So is it recommended to get one with around 60-80k miles? And does the year matter? I WILL be driving it ~800 miles round trip from home to school... My parents told me its a good idea to keep some extra cash around just in case anything goes wrong and I can repair it. Could some of the members here tell me if any of you are using aftermarket warranties? Should I even consider warranties if buying a bmw? Thanks

mikev

Bournemouth, England (but still at my desk)
Put it like this my '89 325i has done 146k miles it still pulls like a steam engine and out does most on the road. if its all fairly high speed for long trips you car will easily do 250k with just normal wear and tear. cost of things arn't too bad (here in the uk) bout $700 for a new full exhaust system from the main dealer inc fitting. and other things like serviceing aren't too bad but the cars are alot more dificult to work on than the jap cars. especially the higher power cars like the m3/m5 and similar. the inspection 2 includes shimming the valves etc to keep it all in check. but the WILL last longer than the jap mobiles if kept in good order. (My cars engine etc have actually out lasted the bodywork which is a prob when you live by the sea.)

Dave8812

Man i got all of you beat!!! My '80 633csi has well over 300,000 miles. Never broken down, not even with my dad back in the 1980s. Its been repaired, but nothing major yet. Just take good care of it and it will treat you well. If you do get a Bimmer, you'll NEVER regret it!!!!!

Ben

ive got a 88 325 with 192k and she runs extremely well, with alot of power. i just took an 800 mile trip, only had to add 1q of oil. [?|].
ben

I just bought a 93 318i and I love it, it has 160,000 Kilometers and runs great!

Parts can be a little more than usual but the cars last a long time.

Buying a BMW was one of the best things I did!